Pink Letter J

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fancy Brunch?



There aren't many things better than mornings on the weekend. They are slow, a beautiful free day is ahead of you, and your calendar is empty. One of my favorite things to do on a slow weekend is brunch. I can call a few friends and go to a local restaurant that focuses on the mainstays of brunch, and we have a great time reliving our nights before or just catching up with old friends.

We're talking bloody mary's, omelette's, fresh fruit, toast, bagels, you name it. How could you not love that? And did you know that brunch started with a bunch of high class Englishmen who would cater to elaborate table buffets for friends and family after a wild night or after an early morning hunting trip? Pretty dandy. There's a great article from the inoccu blog that provides an entertaining historical background of this wonderful past time.

And when you have brunch you must remember that its always better with friends. We have a local place that serves wonderful lunch on the weekends and J+ and I can often be found there either just the two of us or friends. But this morning (maybe because I'm hungry), I was thinking it would be nice to start stocking my pantry with the things I need to make a few dishes for a homemade brunch.

I think for a good brunch, you need an egg dish, and you need a sweet dish. This can be accomplished many ways but I'm going to share two recipes I found that would make a stellar brunch: homemade frittata and coffee cake. Add on a bloody mary with the frittata followed by fresh coffee too pair with your coffee cake and I think I'm in heaven. Let me know how it goes if you try them out!

SPICED APPLESAUCE COFFEE CAKE - Food Network Website

VEGETABLE FRITATTA - Food Network Website

For more brunch inspiration, you can also check out my Pinterest board, "Fancy Brunch?" celebrating this wonderful tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment