Pink Letter J

Monday, July 15, 2013

Lessons from Part-time Jobs



Each week on Sunday my family has a tradition of having lunch together at a local restaurant. These times are a wonderful opportunity for us to catch up and just relax before another busy week. Oftentimes, these lunches turn into engaging and fascinating conversations about our childhoods, futures, family, philosophy... you never know.

Yesterday my family got on the topic of first jobs and how influential they were to future decisions and we all came to agreement that terrible jobs were actually the best thing that could have happened to us. They encouraged us to improve our situations and become determined to, in the future, get a much better job.

I've worked a lot of part-time jobs in my life. They're the worst... and the best! I've been a babysitter (who hasn't?), lifeguard, swim instructor, Target cashier/customer service/operator/floor person, Starbucks barista, and student mentor. And I feel confident saying they were the most important developmental experiences I've had in regards to my higher education and employment. All of these positions were "bottom of the totem pole," just do what you're told, type of positions. But, all of these experiences helped me realize that I definitely did NOT want to remain there.

The males at the table, my fiance, sister's husband, and my father, each had similar experiences with back breaking manual labor positions that helped them realize that they definitely did not want to work manual labor forever. It helped them all see the importance of their education in helping them get to the next step.

Conclusion being, I think all kids need terrible jobs at some point in high school (or maybe college) to help them see that THIS is what they will have if they don't do something better for themselves. First jobs are essentials, and better, the earlier they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment