Pink Letter J

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Science of Happiness

ARTICLE: The Science of Happiness
"An Australian palliative nurse working with terminally ill patients during the last three months of their lives documented their regrets in life. The top five were:
I wish I had the courage to live a true life to myself, not the life others expected of me.
I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
I wish I let myself be happier.
I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
I wish I had the courage to express my feelings."

I spent a few years right out of college almost as a workaholic. I loved what I did and the help I was able to offer but I found limitations in myself about what I was able to do for them. I also found myself wishing I was them sometimes, on the other side, making a go of their business ideas. So, I quit that job for a safe office job thinking that would give me the time I needed to be more self reflective, pick up some hobbies, start some freelancing, and focus on my relationships. As much as I miss the people I worked with it is one of the best decisions I've ever made (so far). 

I look forward to 2014 being a year for me to focus on not having the above regrets. I want to be true to myself, focus more on friendships, open up to those close to me, and just focus on being happier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment