Pink Letter J

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I love Farmer's Markets

Lately, I have impressed myself. I have made one of my long lost goals and dreams finally come true. It might not impress you much, but, I'm pretty proud of it... I made it to the farmer's market!

Yes, I know, it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I cannot stress enough that historically I have never been a morning person. I would rather do anything but wake up before the sun comes up. I love sleep and I love my bed and I love sleeping in my bed.

But, I also love fresh produce. It used to make me giddy to buy organic or locally grown dishes when I lived in Austin. And the flavors were ALWAYS remarkable.

So, needless to say that I was thrilled that I made it to the farmer's market for some local fresh produce not only this last Saturday but the Saturday before that as well!

The word on the street is that you want to be there early. The earlier the better. Otherwise a lot of the good stuff is gone and lots of vendors have already left as well. So my goal is to get there before 9 a.m. (opens at 7:30 a.m. around here).

And if you've never been to a farmer's market here are a couple of tips:

- Learn how to pick out good produce. Find out what to look for in different types of fruits and vegetables. Sometimes experience is enough of a teacher, but if you're just starting out on a new healthy lifestyle then you'll want to know before you waste your money on less than perfect produce

- Bring two things: Cash and a bag or basket. I like to bring about $15 (most of our local providers group their products into bunches that cost $1 each. It makes change easy) I also bring a cloth grocery bag to throw the veggies and fruits in so I can carry more.

- Eat it! It does you no good to buy the stuff if you don't do anything with it. Don't hesitate to get creative. You're getting a good deal on the food anyways so take it as an opportunity to experiment with new types of recipes. Don't like your eggplant a certain way? Try another way next time! The options are endless. You're bound to find a few recipes you love!

Go forth and take advantage of your local Farmer's Market!


No comments:

Post a Comment