Pink Letter J

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Inner Workings of an Introvert

I started a new job no more than two months ago and its been a very enlightening experience. One of my motivations for the move was to learn a little more about myself before the years flew by and the next thing I know I woke up and hadn't done anything adventurous or meaningful with my life. So I took a job that is significantly more focused on computer work and even a bit of programming.

I've always been a closet nerd and its something I've always wanted to explore. When I was much younger I would spend hours and hours into the wee hours of the night learning how to design webpages using HTML or editing photos using Photoshop. At the end of the day I just always craved expressing myself in a creative way and expressing myself in this virtual world we know as the World Wide Web.

When I started the new job I didn't realize all of the relationships I had built over years of work at my previous job would be replaced by a group of albeit wonderful people who do not know me and my weird quirkiness and unfortunate awkwardness.

I learned I was an introvert a few years ago and it opened up my eyes to some explanations behind quite a bit of my oddness. As an introvert, as much as I do love people, I don't necessarily seek it out. I live in a world of thoughts and questions and insights that live quietly inside of my head. And when other people are added into the mix the thoughts get a little louder and my stress levels increase as I try to over think my interaction with me and try to make myself likable.

Its a constant struggle but one that is well worth having. Wanting to work all alone and in my little world while also wishing I could be a more natural and easy going person. I do crave friendliness and acceptance and interaction but on a limited basis. And I love intricate detailed work but interspersed with creativity.

As an introvert it takes a little more time to build relationships but I believe that the ones I make become meaningful and lasting. They are an accumulation of, hopefully, hundreds of positive interactions, as brief as they might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment